Anthony Marsh

Photo: Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office

LEWISTON - On the evening of Sunday, November 20, the Lewiston Police Department responded to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center after a victim arrived at the hospital with multiple stab wounds. 

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by Big Country News Connection, the male victim, identified as Clinton Newbury, was brought to the hospital by a private party. 

After arriving at the hospital, a Lewiston Police Officer spoke with Newbury, who identified the alleged stabbing suspect as 27-year-old Anthony Marsh.

According to the affidavit, Newbury told police he was providing Marsh with a ride home when the two began arguing over money. Marsh then struck the him in the face, according to the Newbury, which caused the car to veer and strike the curb along the road and crash.  Newbury told police that he began attempting to defend himself and climbed on top of Marsh in the passenger seat. At that time, Marsh allegedly began to stab the victim with a pocket knife, Newbury told police.

After the two parties were separated, Newbury reportedly then drove to a gas station, and then to a residence on the 600 block of Preston Avenue, before being provided a ride to the hospital by a private party. 

According to police, Newbury was stabbed three times on his left back and side. Each of the wounds was described as being approximately four inches deep. 

Detectives later seized the vehicle, a 1993 Buick Century, and a rock that appeared to have blood on it that was found at the location of the crash in the 3300 block of 14th Street. 

On Monday, detectives attempted to make contact with Marsh at a residence on the 1200 block of Burrell Avenue in Lewiston.  A female resident allegedly attempted to mislead police about Marsh being inside, but eventually police would get Marsh to exit the residence.

After being read his Miranda Rights, Marsh agreed to speak with officers, and made several statements about being held against his will.

According to the affidavit, Marsh told police Newbury picked him up and began driving around, would not let him exit the vehicle, and the passenger door would not open from the inside.  Marsh said a fight began inside the vehicle.  Marsh eventually admitted to police he had stabbed Newbury, in self defense, while inside the vehicle.  Marsh claims the fight was instigated by Newbury.  Marsh also told police that after he had exited the vehicle, Newbury attempted to hit him with the Buick.

When asked why he didn't contact police about the attack, Marsh told police "he did not like law enforcement," said the affidavit.

Marsh was arrested on an Aggravated Battery charge and booked into the Nez Perce County Jail on Monday evening.  Marsh appeared before Judge Michelle Evans on Tuesday who ordered a $20,000 bond with pretrial supervision.  If he is released on bond, he is temporarily not permitted to posses any weapons.

In 2019, the Whitman County Prosecutor’s Office declined to pursue charges against Marsh for the alleged stabbing of a 28-year-old man at a party on the evening of September 20th, 2018. The men were part of a larger group from the valley that drove to Pullman for the party. Marsh apparently drove the man to the hospital in Clarkston for treatment of the non-life threatening knife wounds.

The prosecutor’s office declined to charge the case citing an uncooperative or unreachable victim leading to insufficient evidence to overcome an argument of self defense.