Capsized Boat Near Sandpoint

Photo: Bonner County Sheriff's Office

**STORY UPDATE 8/2/22**
Bonner County Sheriff Daryl Wheeler says that after an extensive investigation, the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office has concluded that the boat accident was caused by excessive speed, likely complicated by gusty winds reported in the area at the time.
Evidence indicates the boat was traveling about 100 miles per hour at the time of the accident. Furthermore, it has been determined that alcohol was a contributing factor in this accident. The vessel’s owner, Gregory Daiker, was found to have a blood alcohol level of 0.228, well over the legal limit of 0.08, as well as minimal levels of Diazepam.  The boat also lacked enough life jackets for the number of people onboard the vessel, as required by law.

SANDPOINT - On Tuesday, June 28", at approximately 7:00 p.m., the Bonner County Sheriff’s Office was advised that a performance-style boat had capsized on the Pend Oreille River near Thama, west of Sandpoint. It was reported that there were four persons on board.

The Sheriff's Office Marine Division and Dive Team responded and recovered the deceased body of of 59-year-old Gregory J. Daiker of Laclede on Tuesday night, but the search continued for the others. The capsized vessel was pulled from the water. Five Bonner County vessels continued searched the area. An Idaho Fish and Game vessel also searched the shoreline.

The Pend Oreille River at the location of the accident is approximately 94 feet deep.

Based on a sonar location provided by the Kootenai County Sheriff’s sonar team, the Bonner County Sheriff's dive team located the body of 49-year-old Aaron J. Faulhaber of Laclede on Thursday night at 9:00 pm, in approximately 80 feet of water, near the original accident location.

On Friday, July 1st, the bodies of the last 2 missing victims were recovered. 51-year-old Jason L. Maxson of Laclede, and 59-year-old John R. Schulte of Sandpoint were both located in close proximity to the accident scene at depths of approximately 60 feet.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation.