Moscow Volunteer Fire Department

MOSCOW - On Thursday, October 21 at just after 8:00 P.M., the Moscow Rural Fire Department and Moscow Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 3260 Foothill Road.

First arriving emergency responders reported heavy fire within a large barn. Fire Department personnel began providing protection of a single-family home adjacent to the barn and also attempted to suppress the large fire in the barn.

Fire Department and Sheriff's Office personnel were on scene for approximately four hours. The single-family home sustained no damage, however the barn was determined to be a total loss. The Moscow Fire Department Fire Marshal initiated a fire investigation with the assistance of the Latah County Sheriff's Office.

The approximately 2,800 square feet barn was owned by the family residing in the home at the same address. The barn was being leased to Grand American Piano, a vintage piano restoration company. The barn contained numerous vintage pianos in varying stages of restoration.

The fire investigation revealed the barn was heated by an external kerosene heater and a freestanding wood stove that had recently been installed inside the barn. It is possible the origin and cause of the fire may have been combustible products placed too close to the forced air supply of the kerosene heater.

Officially, the cause of the fire is unable to be determined due to the extent of the fire damage to the building and contents. The estimated value of the loss of the building is $150,000, and the estimated value of the contents is in excess of $1,000,000.